Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Have no fear!

Anavan is here! All the way from Ketchekan, Alaska.


Bret, a food adventurer of the grandest sorts, and I went to Atlas Bakery in the East Village to gorge on sugar.


Vegan? Butter and cream laden? Who cares? They taste fantastique.


Next stop, the wondrous automat. Check out the youngsters in awe of this incredibly modern invention. Automats were first created in Berlin in the early 20th century and brought to New York in 1912, conveniently serving hot food to the proletariat for nickels. The rise of fast food and drive thrus in the 50s killed the appeal and they remain largely extinct.


Until now. This macaroni and cheese in a fried tube was surprisingly delightful.


Then on to real mac n' cheese.


S'mac n' cheese.


Neapolitan style. Four cheese. And le Parisian.


Awwww yeah babe. That has oozing brie, rosemary, shitakes, and dried figs!


Nice work, boys.


Then we went back to Brooklyn. I had a hilarious thought at the bookstore that maybe NYC shop cats can get you really sick. Think of all the dirty hands that pet them every day. "Oh man, I caught a real bug last week. I think I got it from that Spoonbill & Sugartown shop kitty. I pet him for like a half an hour" It was worth it.

3 comments:

ALEX said...

Those automatic food dispense places are all over the neatherlands. Eurobums love them!

budge said...

Good god I would kill for a grilled cheese from an automat, instead I will have to make one on my Jaffle maker (thats australian for grilled cheese press...i think)

glad you found atlas again!

Unknown said...

OMG the macn n cheese looks soo gooey!