Monday, February 18, 2008

President Mole

Today I made mole for the very first time. It is odd that I have never attempted it before because it is one of Jared's favorite dishes and one of my LA obsessions; however, it does require a deft hand with the spice rack and a really great recipe.

I got this one from a friend who called his mom in Oaxaca for her secret recipe. It calls for over twenty ingredients, three types of chiles, chocolate, bread, sesame seeds, to name a few.


I made home-made tortillas too. I don't have a tortilla press or a comal (a flat griddle specific for cooking them)- I just use two pieces of wax paper and a flat-bottomed saucepan to squash them out and a normal fry pan to cook them.


LUNCH. The mole turned out alright. I have certainly eaten worse moles. It was earthy, deep, with a subtle chocolaty flavor and a nice balance of sweet and salty. I think the recipe could be tweaked a bit though-Sorry Raphael's Mom.



Kitty in a box!

No comments: