Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bedford Slice

Okay. I know that I have not yet posted on pizza. What's up with that? This is not because I haven't eaten any pizza or that is has not been up to par, quite the contrary. I have probably eaten my weight in incredibly awesome pizza in the past two months. It is merely because I rarely carry around my shitty, malfunctioning, digital camera.

On average, I eat two to four slices of pizza a week, usually trying to hit different spots in an attempt to find the Queen of all slices. Jared says he eats about three a week too. All the pizza joints I've tried have been tasty--poor unpopular pizza doesn't function in NYC; it can't, the rent is too high. Certainly some slices are better than others but many are wonderful and one quite exceptional...

That would be Anna Maria Pizza on Bedford in Williamsburg better known as "The Bedford Slice". Everyone knows that it's the best, it IS the best (so far that I've found) and even the New York Times has a boner for their pizza. When you get in you are greeted with a loud, "OKAY GUY, WHO'S NEXT. NEXTTTTPPHULLEZZZ!" from this guy who can smack a paper bag open on the counter louder than a 12 gage. He always has a rad hat and a smarmy attitude but he's a sweetheart at the core.



A couple of days ago my friend Lauren came to town on business so I had to take her.



We both got the roasted garlic, basil, and ricotta slices, which I had never had before. The regular cheese slice is mind-bendingly good but the other more topping-heavy pizzas are great too. Oh! the fried eggplant and sausage. Ahhh! the arugula and tomato. Mmmmm! the pepperoni. The crust and dough is chewy, yet supple, crispy in some places, burnt and charred in perfect amounts like a Nancy Silverton wet dream. The sauce bright and garlic-y, the cheese gooey, stretchy, and in all the right amounts. Not too greasy, not too sloppy, very, very hot. Let it sit for a full 30 seconds before eating.


I will try them all before I die.


Kitty too!

No comments: