Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Momofuku Noodle Bar

Man oh man. After lying face down in bed for a week with the flu and existing solely on oranges and cough drops my taste buds were not prepared for the deliciousness to be had at Momofuku Noodle Bar when J-RAD took me this week. I had been yearning to try David Chang's Asian cuisine ever since he appeared in the NYC Times, and then Gourmet, and then Bon Appetit, and then NYC times again and again and again like a culinary poster-child. These seasonal pickles started out our meal: shitakes, kimchee, pickled pear (so good!), cucumber, and radish. I love me some pickles.


The press has been kind to Chef Chang, and deservedly so. This may, no, this was the best bowl of Ramen (and the most expensive at $15) I have ever eaten in my life. There's pork confit in there, pork belly, a poached egg, Jesus, bamboo shoots, and nori. Sorry it's a little blurry. (Ramen haze)


Jared got the chicken Ramen. Great as well but not as good as the porcine variety.


So, if you've even had really good Ramen, really authentic stuff, you know that the broth should be so concentrated and rich that it tastes milky, calcified, like bones. This Ramen was so layered with umami, with such rich chewy egg saturated noodles, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, my eyes start to roll back into my head. And the pork belly! Pig deified. Here's the bustling kitchen.

2 comments:

brainmonster said...

Looks like Japan to me. Sometimes you walk into some places and you find yourself in a different country.

candacelopez said...

o man, this place makes me wanna die just looking at it. in a good way. i want that food.